TC Grille/Shell Fitting

Discussion of TABC-related matters
SteveW

TC Grille/Shell Fitting

Post by SteveW » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:58 am

I seem to have been having endless problems with the chrome radiator shell/grille. First of all I discovered the one that came with the car was beyond repair.

Next, I've noticed that this other really nicely chromed one (not by me) that I have has a curve in the edges where the side bonnet edges meet it. My bonnet edges are straight so they will be impossible to line up unless I cut an equivalent curve in the mating edges. Hard to take pictures of, but you can see that the edge on the grill bows in the middle by 3/8" on one side and 1/4" on the other (so close enough to each other not to notice) in the forward and aft direction.

What do the more experienced people than me advise. Will the finished car look terrible with that curve in the bonnet sides and grille and therefore do I need to start again with another very expensive grille?
Attachments
20240302_114134.jpg
20240302_114327.jpg
20240302_114241.jpg

Ray White

Re: TC Grille/Shell Fitting

Post by Ray White » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:41 am

Hi Steve. It looks to me like the whole rad shell has been pushed in the middle on both sides so it now bows where it meets the bonnet sides. I would say don't cut the bonnet to match. If possible, get an experienced panel beater to straighten the rad shell. They may have ideas that we wouldn't think of.

Cheers Ray.

Rob Reilly

Post by Rob Reilly » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:22 pm

That's right, in fact one of the methods my chrome plater has used on one of my parts was to clamp it to a straight bar, and heat it up gently with a propane torch, then letting it cool gently, so it relaxed to the straightness of the bar.
1937 TA 1271

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:23 pm

That's a real shame. I'm not sure that will straighten out without damaging the chrome. But I don't think you'll be happy with the fit either.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:15 am

I know that I won't be happy with a curved edge, but it sometimes needs someone else to say it as well.

This morning I had a go a straightening one of the edges by drilling some holes in a straight metal bar and then bolting the edge of the grille to it. It does seem to work without cracking the chrome, but no doubt as soon as I take the bar off it will spring back to it's old shape again. I'm reluctant to over bend in case I crack the chrome.

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:28 am

SteveW wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:15 am
I know that I won't be happy with a curved edge, but it sometimes needs someone else to say it as well.

This morning I had a go a straightening one of the edges by drilling some holes in a straight metal bar and then bolting the edge of the grille to it. It does seem to work without cracking the chrome, but no doubt as soon as I take the bar off it will spring back to it's old shape again. I'm reluctant to over bend in case I crack the chrome.
I know they are costly but I would entrust it to Derby Platers. They are, I think, honest enough to say if they can't do it. The worst bit for me is the time line. It took weeks to get my end panels done.

(Did I say that I bought two new tank end panels from Moss and was so disappointed with the chrome finish, I had Derby Palters do it again. They made a first rate job of them ...but really, it shouldn't be necessary. Incidentally, I am not alone with this.)