Correct MG TC Dash Screws

Discussion of TABC-related matters
JayF

Correct MG TC Dash Screws

Post by JayF » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:18 pm

I am working on fixing some of the wrong details on my TC. One issue is the dash screws. The ones on my car were somewhat mismatched
I ordered both sets of screws from one of the suppliers just to see the difference between the rexine dash screws and the wood dash screws.
It seems like almost every wood dash I have seen is using the screws for the rexine dash. When I tried using the proper screws for the wood dash, I must say it looks odd.
Any experts out there have any thoughts?
Do the holes in the wood dash need to be countersunk to accept the correct cup washer?
Oddly the setup for the wood is chrome and the one for rexine is not
Attachments
Supposed correct screw washer setup for wood dash
Supposed correct screw washer setup for wood dash
Supposed correct screw washer setup for rexine dash- note not chromred
Supposed correct screw washer setup for rexine dash- note not chromred
The blingy chrome setup that came on my car
The blingy chrome setup that came on my car
Comparison of the 2 styles I received from the supplier
Comparison of the 2 styles I received from the supplier

Rob Reilly

Re: Correct MG TC Dash Screws

Post by Rob Reilly » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:36 pm

I am somewhat confident that these screws and cup washers are original to my '37 TA dashboard.
There is some vestige of chrome plating on a couple of them.
The holes in the dashboard are not countersunk.
20240412_190513.jpg
20240412_190513.jpg (20.72 KiB) Viewed 147 times
20240412_190739.jpg
20240412_190739.jpg (21.21 KiB) Viewed 147 times
1937 TA 1271

jeffnewey

Post by jeffnewey » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:22 pm

I guess you know that all dash centers for walnut dashes were black.
There was a cross over but it went the other way.(a number of cars had rexene dash with black center panel).
The screws for walnut dashes were one gauge smaller than those used later with the cup washers and were
countersunk into dash. I used the small countersunk washers under them (as supplied by The Whitworth Shop).
Craig Seabrook at the Whitworth Shop is the absolute expert on the TC(and other)dashes...contact him.

Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:12 am

Jay, the smaller screw and recessed countersunk washer in your photo are correct for a wood dash.
Here are two cropped photos of TCs at the factory in their early lives.
The one with the wooden dash is late 1945. Though focus is not great, it clearly shows the hardware - flush countersunk washers and raised slotted countersunk screws. The screw hole in the wood dash is countersunk so that the washer sits flush with the dash wood.
Second one with the Rexine covered dash shows the hardware arrangement for this dash; a raised cup countersunk washer is used here.
Screw size on both originally was #8x1.25", brass chrome plated.
Hardware is available from From the Frame Up. Washers available in bulk quantity from Auveco.

The late TC dash photo was taken in the development shop. It's a Sequoia Creme color car with an interesting mount for a center rear view mirror. The TC also had a combination heater/AM radio installed.
Tom Wilson
Attachments
Early TC dash showing hardware
Early TC dash showing hardware
Late TC dash showing hardware
Late TC dash showing hardware

JayF

Post by JayF » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:05 am

jeffnewey wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:22 pm
I guess you know that all dash centers for walnut dashes were black.
There was a cross over but it went the other way.(a number of cars had rexene dash with black center panel).
The screws for walnut dashes were one gauge smaller than those used later with the cup washers and were
countersunk into dash. I used the small countersunk washers under them (as supplied by The Whitworth Shop).
Craig Seabrook at the Whitworth Shop is the absolute expert on the TC(and other)dashes...contact him.
I am aware
My car is supposed to have a rexine dash based on the vin number. I like the wood and it’s not worth the expense to change the dash and the center panel out but at least I can get the $20 worth of dash screws corrrect

JayF

Post by JayF » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:05 am

Tom Wilson wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:12 am
Jay, the smaller screw and recessed countersunk washer in your photo are correct for a wood dash.
Here are two cropped photos of TCs at the factory in their early lives.
The one with the wooden dash is late 1945. Though focus is not great, it clearly shows the hardware - flush countersunk washers and raised slotted countersunk screws. The screw hole in the wood dash is countersunk so that the washer sits flush with the dash wood.
Second one with the Rexine covered dash shows the hardware arrangement for this dash; a raised cup countersunk washer is used here.
Screw size on both originally was #8x1.25", brass chrome plated.
Hardware is available from From the Frame Up. Washers available in bulk quantity from Auveco.

The late TC dash photo was taken in the development shop. It's a Sequoia Creme color car with an interesting mount for a center rear view mirror. The TC also had a combination heater/AM radio installed.
Tom Wilson
Thanks Tom
As always, super helpful

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:15 am

Jay, feel free to name the supplier. The cup washer for the rexine dash are not the original contour. The outer edge is too steep on the ones you received for rexine. Pics below of known original washer. Outside dia. is 0.56 inch.
thumbnail (16).jpg
thumbnail (15).jpg