TC EXU Mirror

Discussion of TABC-related matters
loustaller

TC EXU Mirror

Post by loustaller » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:54 pm

This may be the most lame question ever! I feel lame asking it but I can't figure out what's going on. I bought a reproduction interior mirror which is a copy of a DEMSO mirror but for the life of me I can not figure out how to adjust it! I loosen the Acorn nut which allows the mirror head to swivel to the side but when I tighten the acorn nut the mirror head will not stay in the needed position, It moves back to the straight forward position. Granted, the mirror is a piece of crap but it should still be able to adjust so the driver can see behind him! Anyone with this type of mirror experience this? What's going on? :?

Rob Reilly

Re: TC EXU Mirror

Post by Rob Reilly » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:30 am

There should be a wave spring inside that provides tension or friction to hold the mirror in any position.
Perhaps you are over-tightening the acorn nut. It should be tight enough to produce friction, but not so tight as to pull the mirror back to straight.
Desmo mirror EXU.jpg
1937 TA 1271

loustaller

Post by loustaller » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:24 am

IMG_8257.jpg
IMG_8257.jpg (111.05 KiB) Viewed 169 times
It seems I'm lacking a wave washer. As far as over tightening the acorn nut, I could have but as soon as it has any pressure it starts to return to the straight ahead position, while the head is loose enough to droop down. I bought the mirror from FTFU so I'll contact Doug for his input. A minor issue but also an important one.

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:03 am

Lou, you have not taken it apart all the way. There should be a sort of ball and socket joint inside. Maybe it needs a light application of grease? These do operate a bit on wishful thinking, and tend to be a bit difficult to deal with as far as adjustment. Tightening it too much will lock it in place. I have a split lock washed behind the nut. I may have added that...

Tell us what Doug's thoughts are. Always interesting to hear what the vendor has to say.

loustaller

Post by loustaller » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:16 am

Here's a photo of the interior mirror completely apart. There doesn't seem to be anything that would help the mirror head stay in the needed position. I spoke to Doug at FTFU and he will be sending me a replacement mirror.

IMG_8258.jpg
IMG_8258.jpg (106.05 KiB) Viewed 126 times