Location of Windscreen Cowl Bracket Holes in a TC

Discussion of TABC-related matters
rstarkweather

Location of Windscreen Cowl Bracket Holes in a TC

Post by rstarkweather » Mon May 06, 2024 12:13 pm

In exactly 2 weeks, I will become the extremely proud owner of Gene Gillam's 1949 TC "hot rod" (the silver/blue car). While the idea of fitting a standard windscreen (and later potentially a hood) is likely inconsistent with Gene's "vision" for the car, it will help make the car a little more driver friendly for touring, etc. in inclement weather.

I noted with interest Mike Sherrell's notes on page 215 of TCs Forever, that the bottom two holes for the cowl brackets are "about 3/8" on average" above the scuttle fold line.

Has anyone taken measurements for these holes from the front and back of the scuttle? Gene's car has an aluminum tub built in the UK back in the late 70s, and it does not have any holes for the windscreen cowl brackets. I hope to take some measurements from Gene's other TC tub when I pick up the car, but I thought I would also ask the TC brain trust for additional data points (especially those with currently disassembled cars).

I don't think the tub has any attachment points for the hood frame (or the sidescreens, Yikes!), so getting the windscreen properly located will be an important first step in ultimately fitting the hood.

I understand there is also an "L angle side brace" on the inside of the tub through which two of the cowl bracket screws pass. Again I plan to take a picture of Gene's other tub to see what this looks like as I do not know if it exists on the silver/blue car.

As always, your guidance is appreciated.

I got to drive my first T-type 50 years ago. Really looking forward to having another one to enjoy.

ROGER FURNEAUX

Re: Location of Windscreen Cowl Bracket Holes in a TC

Post by ROGER FURNEAUX » Tue May 07, 2024 10:06 am

Assuming you already have a windscreen complete (they are expensive things!) your best bet is to offer it up to the cowl. The shape of the side brackets and the cowl itself will determine the best position. Brackets do vary (and TD ones are not the same) and of course your Ali cowl might not be the same shape as an original. The important point is that the brackets' bottom edge is exactly parallel to the fold line. There is an L-shaped piece inside the door panel for the machine screws holding the lock, but I cannot be sure about the W/S screws as TC0978 does not have one fitted (only Aeroscreens)

Roger

Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson » Wed May 08, 2024 3:57 pm

Here are a couple items I provided from previous posts (could have been on the other TABC forum) that should help you.
Tom Wilson
TC0273, TC0279, TC2040
Attachments
MG TC Windscreen Stanchion factory photos.jpg
Windscreen to tub stanchion locatio.jpeg

rstarkweather

Post by rstarkweather » Sat May 11, 2024 1:54 pm

Thanks so much! Very helpful.