MG TC original factory drawings

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Simon Sadubin

MG TC original factory drawings

Post by Simon Sadubin » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:23 am

As part of the process of restoring TC 2575 I've been amazed at how much MG actually documented the cars. There is a wealth of factory photos showing assembly at Abingdon, there is a comprehensive specification No 279 covering pretty much every nut and bolt in the car. A great instruction manual - aka the Brown Book, and the Service Parts List.

In the Specification No 279 there is a page which details factory drawings for the TC - I'll copy it in here below.
mg-tc-chassis-arrangement-blueprint.jpg
It lists 9 x seperate drawings. I'll list them here just in case the image is not very legible:
Axle Front. A.1146.X
Body General Arrangement. B.951.W.
Chassis Arrangement. A.1450.X
Coachbuilders. A.1448.X
Dash, Battery & Tool Box. 99591.X.
Frame. 99570.X.
Handbrake Assembly. A.937.X
Propeller Shaft. A.1416.Y.
Steering Assembly A.2658.Y.

So far I've managed to find two drawings on the internet

Body General Arrangement B.951.W
engineering-drawing-blueprint-mg-tc-body.jpg
Chassis Arrangement A.1450.X
mg-tc-chassis-arrangement-blueprint.jpg
I've also found another drawing which details the front and rear springs, but its not on the Specification list and I'm not sure if it is a factory drawing as such.
MGTC springs.png
There is also the dimensioned drawing in the Brown Book of the Chassis which is invaluable.

Is anyone aware of copies of any of the other drawings on the list? It would be great to try and round them up. Perhaps the British Motor Heritage Industry Trust might be a good place to start?

regards,

Simon Sadubin TC2575
Attachments
MG TC drawing list.png

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Re: MG TC original factory drawings

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:29 am

I'm pretty sure the spring page comes from Blower's manual, an oft-overlooked resource.

If anyone has a spare TC Brown Book to sell, I am looking for one.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair
tlange@acadia.net

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:46 am

I recall about 3 years ago someone selling original templates for the timber parts for a TC on EBay I think in Australia. Although tempted not having a TC at the time I didn`t bother bidding. Now have a TC needing bringing back to life but currently not having started not sure what I`ll need.

EdCallo

Post by EdCallo » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:23 am

My Dad had a large format yellow book with foldout pages that showed ever part of the TC with Part numbers. It has to be in my Mom's house somewhere. Need to find it

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:14 am

I would love to find copies of these. I have a large format copy of the body drawing hanging in my home office. It's about 4 ft long. There are quite a few errors though, as it was a pre-production drawing. Lots of TA parts and even a hexagonal radiator cap!

The spring drawing is indeed from the Blower's manual. I don't know where they got it though.
See: http://www.tcmotoringguild.org/techinfo ... g-data.jpg
Attachments
drawing.jpg
drawing.jpg (41.94 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com